Manila
Angeles City/Balibago
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Unit Page
Navigation
Personal Page
Navigation
The history of Manila

The Pasig River bisects the city in the middle. Almost all of the city sits on top of centuries of prehistoric alluvial deposits built by the waters of the Pasig River and on some land reclaimed from Manila Bay.

Manila is bordered by several cities in Metro Manila such as Navotas and Caloocan to the north, Quezon City to the northeast, San Juan and Mandaluyong to the east, Makati to the southeast, and Pasty to the south.

Well into the 13th century, the city consisted of a fortified settlement and trading quarter at the bay of the Pasig River, on top of previous older towns. The name of the city under the Malay aristocracy was Seludong which was the name given for the general region of southwestern Luzon. However, the city became known by the name given to it by it's Tagalog inhabitants, Manila, first recorded as Maynilad.

Manila became the seat of the colonial government of Spain when it officially controlled the Philippine Islands for over three centuries from 1565 to 1898. During the British occupation of the Philippines, the city was occupied by Great Britain for two years from 1762 to 1764 as part of the Seven Years War. The city remained the capital of the Philippines under the government of the provisional British governor, acting through the Archbishop of Manila and the Real Audiencia. Armed resistance to the British centered in Pampanga.

Manila also became famous during the Manila-Acapulco trade which lasted for three centuries and brought goods as far as the Americas all the way to South East Asia. 1899, the United States purchased the Philippines from Spain and colonized the whole Philippine archipelago. Manila was fought over during the Spanish-American war and during the subsequent Philippine-American War. During World War II, much of the city was destroyed but the city was rebuilt in 1946. It was the second most destroyed city in the world after Warsaw, Poland during World War II.